Wednesday 19 October 2005

Digital Native

Laptops, iPods: are they friend or fiend? - Chee Chee Leung, the Age (Australia) by Ray Schroeder

Tara was four years old when she started using a computer. By age six, she was introduced to email and accessed her first website, barbie.com. Now aged nine, Tara is an example of what has been dubbed the "digital native", whose natural habitat features computers, the Internet and video games. "As I grew older I became more attached to the computer and I can type faster," the grade 3 Xavier College student says. "It's been a part of my life."


The other night, I was reading in my study when my daughter was online chatting with her friend. I heard the keyboard sound. I thought I am a fast typist. Oh, I don't think I am not a fraction of her speed.

She usually stores her contacts on her mobile. Occasionally, she needs to find someone else. She goes straight to whitepages.com.au. The dead tree version of the white pages? Our last year version is still in its plastic wrap!

That's digital native!

No comments: