Wednesday 1 February 2006

Letter to the Parents ... conversation continues

from 2 Cents Worth

Last week, David Warlick, role playing a school principal sent a letter to the parent admitting that the school has failed to provide the necessary education to the children and apologised to the parent. [It was a very honest and sincere letter. Please read.]

A fellow blogger David Jakes replied as a parent demanding the fictitious principal to take some action. [Another good read.]

I was looking forward to another reply from Warlick, unfortunately, the reply was

Mr. Jakes,

I appreciate your note and the concern you have for your son, who is entering the university next year. I wish that I could bring about the changes that we agree are needed. But I'm afraid that I lost my job as principal last week, and will be coordinating the district's bussing program until the end of the school year.


This was the most realistic response Warlick can think of. If that's the case, it is truly a very sad situation.

So, as the incoming principal, I am (role-playing) sending this letter to all parents.

Dear Parents,

Our former principal Mr. Warlick has done a great job leading our school to its current high academic standard. Sadly, he has left for a post in the district and I am taking up his post.

In the last letter to parents, Mr. Warlick pointed out a number of short-coming which we should be dealing with directly. One of our supportive parent Mr. Jakes actually wrote in and demanded that our school and fellow teachers to take up the challenge. I totally agree.

I believe every member of our community will agree that our teachers are the best in the country. They are caring and really interested in the education of our children under our care. Their dedication and professionalism are evidence from the good results your kids have achieved in the past and current years. They are performing beyond what is required from them already. I can assure you that I and my staff shall continue to do our best to ensure that your kids, our students will excel in all the standardised tests as mandated by the federal government. This strategy will mean that your kids will have good scores necessary to enter any chosen fields, be it further studies such as entering universities or entering the work force.

Under the current award system and the resource restriction, we shall continue to work closely with the Parent Association to address your concerns. Please don't hesitate to contact me while you are in school.

Yours Sincerely,

No comments: