Tuesday 6 May 2008

Is It Right That the U.S. Government Spends More on the Digital TV Switch Than Literacy Education?

This is a title of a post on Gizmodo, a gadget blog.

I am just being nosy. It is USA education and I am just an Australian. I should not care less.

Anyway, from Gizmodo (the post itself quoted below because I cannot write it any better, my emphasis):

To be honest, I can't say that I am surprised to hear that the government has allocated $1.5 billion to inform 17 million citizens about the digital TV transition. After all, those uninformed few would undoubtedly take up arms if they missed out on sports broadcasts and NBC's Thursday lineup. However, I was a little surprised to hear that the total proposed budged for literacy education in 2009 stands at a paltry $574.6 million. Once again it seems that our government does not have its priorities in order. That having been said, does this represent a proper allocation of taxpayer money in your opinion? How does broadband access fit into the mix?


Howeever, there is a good news in this. If blogger at Gizmodo questions this, there must be more people having the same question. USA may improve when all citizens demand that.

BTW, it is a poll at Gozmode. Cast your vote and you will see how Gizomodo's readers responded. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments: